Revision is key

April 2, 2021 – Over one year

It was more that one year between visits to the bank. Not that we ever went often, but because of the pandemic it was one of many things that we simply ceased to do.

And so, at long last, I went back. Hoping that I wouldn’t be too rusty when it came to opening our safe deposit box. And then, deciding the key would stand as the symbol of this latest return to something like normal …

It was also an opportunity to try out a “what if” … seeing if a stitched border would contain Inktense dye. It did.

And then I looked long and hard at my mismatched strips of patchplay and decided to cut down or completely redo several patches in order to make the February and March strips match the other three …

The new images have been added to the original posts, where I can return and compare them in the future.

And as I wrote this, the verdicts came in at the Derek Chauvin trial. Relief washed over me … Hope has a place to grow.

I get by with a little help from my friends

April 1, 2021 – Story People

Somewhere along the way, Nancy and I discovered a mutual admiration of Brian Andreas and his Story People creations from the 1990s (more recently, he and his first wife split up, which sadly muddied the artistic waters).

Anyway, our exchange started when I sent Nancy a Story People card and then she sent me a Story People book (among other things, but that’s another post).

Today, I gathered stuff together to celebrate the arrival of Nancy’s gifts on April 1st …

Chief among them was a scrap of Tina’s dye cloth and a deconstructed sheer cotton skirt that was among my very first thrift store purchases inspired by Spirit Cloth 101.

I sketched directly on the cloth …

then skatched on bits of skirt cloth a la Jude Hill, along with a fair bit of split backstitch lettering worked in Deb Lacativa threads.

And I know one shouldn’t show favoritism, but honestly, I especially like this patch …

That’s a wrap … or is that a warp?

March 31, 2021 – Easter egg

While I was in St Louis, I bought an egg spinning kit for Jace and Jackson at Target. Meliss waited until it was closer to Easter before turning them loose and then called on Facetime so I could see them in action …

Luckily I had the perfect thrift store cloth match for an egg patch.

With the month of a March finally done and stitched onto the January and February patches, I discovered a problem: the cloth was warped, visibly wider at the bottom than the top row of black and white patches.

Thinking it might help, I made a new row of black and white patches the same size as the top row and eased (well actually, forced) everything together …

But it was obvious that the March patches were buckling, plus the new row of black and white patches was stretched beyond reasonable.

I took them all apart and found my eyes hadn’t been lyin’ …

I think this could best be called mission creep. So it’s back to the drawing board to do a little what-iffing 😉