I am grateful to India Flint for the insights I received during her bagstories project. And I will honor her request not to divulge the construction techniques provided in her private Facebook workshop.
That said, I do want to share part of the journey that led to the creation of this bag …
As you can see, it is somewhat larger than the bag on the right, which was constructed following India’s original instructions …
But those of you who have been reading this blog for a while will most likely recognize its roots in the Remember 2016 cloth, which utilized Jude Hill’s paperless piecing technique …
Indeed, the first patches in this new bag were trial bits from Remember 2016. Others were remains of last year’s Peace Pin Project. And some were made from cloth gifted by Kindred Spirits. Most are linen, either thrift store bought or vintage clothing and linens from my past.
There were even several abandoned slow stitch projects pulled out and finally put to good use …
Speaking of which … I recently went through my scraps, discarding many that were too small and/or too shredded to be of much use. But in going through the myriad bits and pieces, I realized that I recognized each one … where it came from and what project it was used in. The memories that were triggered astonished me.
So it is that this bag has become a holder of memory. Point to any patch and I dare say I can spin a story (or two or three). In the days to come, I may do just that. But for now, I will rest in the satisfaction of its wholeness and in sharing that here.
First Golden Eye …
and Bitterweed …
I’ve been playing with a new format for Land of Flood and Drought – 2017 …
Each patch is 1″ x 1 3/4″ so I’ll be able to use the linen strips from Remember 2016. And I’m using Jude’s paperless patching, along with split back stitch for the lettering and numbering. When working light floss on dark linen, I also wrap the back stitches for a more solid line.
Since I wanted to record temperature as well as rain this year, I cribbed off the newspaper weather map and came up with a range of colors for each ten degrees:
100+ … Reds
90s … Dark oranges
80s … Light oranges
70s … Yellows
60s … Greens
50s … Blue greens
40s … Blues
30s … Purples
20s … Pinks
<20 … White
Lucky me … the first two weeks in January ranged from the teens to the 80s, so I got to use eight of the ten color groups!
So, the top block of each day is the high temperature and the bottom block is the low. Likewise, the top represents the noon to midnight hours for moonrise depictions (since highs normally occur in the afternoon and evening), and the lower block represents midnight to noon (when lows normally occur).
I’ll use variations within each color, as with the yellows and blues on the 2nd and the 9th …
and I’m continuing to record daily rainfall …
Obviously this piece will be much larger than the 7″ x 53″ Land of Flood and Drought – 2016. I’m envisioning four blocks of thirteen weeks, each 13.25″ x 30″ once the black and white edging strips are added. Or not … I have a habit of changing course as I go.
I’ll probably stitch a week’s worth at a time and then post the results each Sunday or Monday. I’m looking forward to seeing how the colors warm up as the year progresses while wondering just how many red patches will be needed this summer!
This piece was abandoned, but later became a part of the bagstories