Hell yeah

I finished the stitching chair cushion repair!

After experimenting on the “other side” in this post, I realized it wasn’t “me.” So I started to go with a more open approach using seams from deconstructed thrift store finds …

couched with variegated Valdani #12 perle cotton and backed with a piece of cotton sateen that just happened to be the right size …

Next up? Figuring out a way to reinforce the armrest, currently patched with the corner of a bandanna that Don gifted to me …

On mending and meditating

A recent post about making prayer flags was inspired by a friend’s trip to Nepal. She in turn asked if there was any way she could get two of the prayer flags.

Easily done, was my response, all one needs do is ask …

But I didn’t stop at two, as I decided to replicate the Buddhist prayer flags from Kendall’s travel photos, using these images to guide me (click to see entire images)…

And as is my wont, I repeated the words while I stitched … a meditative practice well-suited to the slow rhythms of hand stitching. I also left the edges raw and the thread ends unknotted, the better to release their messages to the wind.

They’re now ready to move on to their new home.

I’ve also been doing some much-needed repair on my stitching chair, which made previous mending appearances here and here. At twenty years old, with many of those years spent in front of sunny Texas windows, the upholstery definitely needs reinforcement …

So I’ve taken the seat cushion off and am couching strips of cloth over the worn spots using two strands of perle cotton. My method was inspired by Judy Martin’s masterwork Not to know but to go on, the making of which she detailed in this post.

I’m currently practicing on the down-side of the cushion, but very much looking forward to the up-side, where I plan to use some choice bits salvaged from deconstructed thrift store clothing.

Watch this space …

Collared

Each time I hung Don’s painting shirts on the drying rack, I noticed they really needed mending. Not that he minded them … I did.

In truth, I had done some darning on one of them a while back, but obviously more needed to be done. So I cut away the ragged edges and pondered …

At first I considered using something with wild colors (I mean, they’re painting shirts). But when I went into the cloth closet, a recent thrift store purchase jumped out as the perfect choice …

Much better …

Last, but far from least, I’m back to the art blog with this …

https://ackertart.blogspot.com/2021/12/shelter-island.html

which was made just before this little treasure was opened on Christmas morning …

A delightful pair!