Bell bottom blues

I was the last kid in my high school to get bell bottoms because my mom, thinking that the “fad would never last,” refused to buy something that she was sure I wouldn’t wear for more than a month.

When she finally relented and let me get a pair, they were too short and definitely not Levis. It ruined me for life. Once I got a job and my driver’s license, I bought my own jeans: long and Levi’s. To this day, my jeans have to be dragging-the-ground long and yes, they’ve got to be Levis.

I present to you Exhibit A, from my high school yearbook …

and Exhibit B, from last week …

So yeah, some things never change. Fortunately, my mending skills have improved somewhat (along with my taste in shoes and socks). For instance, I did try stitching a pair of jeans a few years back …

But this time I wanted to try a patchplay solution. So I sacrificed a much-loved-but-no-longer-worn denim dress, first cutting off pieces of the hem …

and then attaching them to the trimmed back edges of my jeans. This patch was attached with Jude Hill’s glue stitch (seen here on the “other side”) …

and this one was attached with running stitch (also a b-side view) …

I bound the raw edges on the inside with blanket stitch, but for the outside I used Jude Hill’s wrap stitch and two strands of Deb Lacativa’s magic thread

To good effect methinks …

Now I just need to tackle the Levis that I bought at a Wimberley thrift store for two-bucks-a-pop and wore to shreds …

It’s a good thing that old dress has a lot of bound edges!

Red redux

“Things you value and know to be true.”

Acey’s words finally sank in as I continued to work on the second red square, the one that called out “poinsettia” in response to Dana’s comment …

Things I value and know to be true.

Home.

Family.

Food is love.

And this community of cloth … the one I entered upon finding Jude Hill’s Spirit Cloth … the Kindred Spirits.

So I guess it wasn’t surprising that I travelled back in time to my initial explorations, which included the Kitchen Towel Series. Pieces that had purpose, not only as a tool in the kitchen, but as a way of testing the durability of cloth and stitch, how they might withstand many trips through the laundry. They withstood it quite well, it turns out.

And so it grew in my mind to create a new kitchen towel …

And to finally finish another one begun two years ago

Because, one can never have too many kitchen towels …

no matter how long they last.

A truer red

This first red square was more rusty than red …

But Acey’s next prompt seemed to call for a truer red, so I looked in my cloth stash and found not one, but three …

Each one by itself looked to be a “true” red, but put together they sorted themselves into light, medium and dark.

As I stitched, I recalled the wonky log cabin blocks that I put together for P’s coverlet. It seemed like a good way to go …

so I did …

And I don’t know where it will end up, but then again, neither do I have any planned “use” for this …

except to simply be in the moment with it.