I get by with a little help from my friends

In the wake of epic fires in Australia, Barry Smith posted today about his latest project to spread peace. Inspired, I penned a soon-to-be-stitched response on my current work in progress …

Also this past week, Dee Mallon posted about putting her Deb Lacativa threads in a box (note: Deb is currently having a sale). Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I didn’t hesitate to imitate …

And how wonderful that the box was part of a welcome to the neighborhood gift from our across-the-street neighbors (along with an apple pie that is long-since gone).

Last, but not least, Fiona Dempster sent some treasures she and Barry made over at Deckled Edge Press, which are now residing on the nifty seating-cum-display-shelf in our breakfast nook …

Oh wait, there’s one more thing. My former neighbor, Connie Akers transported me to the monthly FASA (Fiber Artists of San Antonio) meeting, where we heard Jody Alexander give a phenomenal talk about Boro. I am fortunate to have two of Jody’s books in my collection (KEEP and The Boro Aesthetic), but there’s nothing like seeing (and touching) cloth up close …

There is so much inspiration to be found in this circle of Kindred Spirits … a very good thing during good times and bad.

Ripples of peace

When we were in the throes of selling the house, then packing and moving, I didn’t have much creative energy … so I made patches.

Now that we’re settling in, I’m starting to stitch them together …

The light is perfect for iPhone-ography, here showing off the b-side …

And as I began the next row of patches, a working title occurred to me …

Ripples of Peace

Of course, it’s not all fun and games … there are plenty more things to do. Here, for instance, is the tentative layout …

for one of the wall niches …

of which there are two, this being the second …

The niches weren’t my favorite feature of the new house (ditto all the moldings), but they’re growing on me.

To be or not to be …

precise …

because precision has been much on my mind as I’ve stitched this past week. Whether ’tis nobler to suffer the pains of constant measuring to create the next granddaughter coverlet in Meg’s beloved herringbone …

or to let go of preconceptions and simply make patch after patch after patch … and then put all the puzzle pieces together somehow (thank you for the concept, Jude) …

This last not for a baby coverlet, but simply for the love of it. Because I confess that I’ve had much fun tearing and ironing dyed cloth into 1 1/4″ and 1 1/2″ and 1 3/4″ strips (as I did way back when for the original Land of Flood and Drought). Then cutting the strips into random lengths, so there is no regularity in the width of the resulting patches.

And I likewise confess to being influenced by this Agnes Martin painting as I imagined how the patches might fit together (and I do want/need to learn more about her and her art) …

It remains to be seen where this all goes …

N.B. The dyed cloth comes from multiple sources:

Maura Ambrose’s dye workshop

Deb Lacativa’s Fat Baggies

Fiber on a Whim (great color variation, but the cotton is a bitch to hand stitch)

Tierney Barden (with thanks to Sue McQuade for the gift that led me to this new source)