Retro-active

First, I promised (and then forgot) to post a picture of Land of Flood and Drought once it was hanging. I ended up hanging the 2015 LoFaD on the left and the 2016 LoFaD on the right …

I also have a belated response to Deb Sposa’s “How did you do that?” comment on this post
where I made the beginnings of a flower out of repurposed vintage handkerchiefs …

I started with directions I found on how to make flower petals in one of the many books and Internet sites I perused. Sadly, I neglected to note which one. Anyway, I started with a 5 1/2″ square of cloth …
folded it in half …

then folded the top right corner down …

and the top left corner down …

This resulted in all raw edges being on the bottom (an important consideration as this will end up on a baby quilt, so loose threads need to be avoided as they are potential choking hazards). 
A running stitch along the bottom edge (done in a contrasting color for the purposes of demonstration here) … 

was then gathered …

and secured by running the needle back through the gathers in the opposite direction …

At which point the “petal” was ready to be used with the opening visible (above), or not (below) …

It wasn’t too far a leap to see the resemblance between the folded triangle of cloth and the corner of a vintage handkerchief. So I made a cover stock template with a 2 1/2″ altitude and marked it onto the corner of a handkerchief …

then cut the corner off, leaving a 1/4″ margin …

I discovered that the petals worked best when I used two handkerchief corners stitched together with perle cotton …

after which all that remained to do was a light spritzing to remove the erasable marker lines …

The flower pictured above has 14 pairs of petals, but I’ve also experimented with some alternate petal shapes and sizes … which I’ll save for another day.

Showing up

Cloth first. I’m in the process of auditioning cloth blossoms for a baby quilt. The most recent effort (which does not yet have a center to conceal the gathering), was made from vintage handkerchiefs …

Close up …

and back …

Now I’m auditioning some possible dye colors to pull everything together, so stay tuned for more.

– Turning redux

Retrospective (10/6)

Patch #263 Almost Equinox

Original Post 
I just had to show this in response to Jude Hill’s post entitled Turning (http://spiritcloth.typepad.com/spirit_cloth/2016/09/turning.html) …

It’s an antique clock reel for winding skeins (which I mistakenly called a click reel for years because of the loud sound it makes every 40 revolutions) gifted by my parents back when I was the Needleworker at Colonial Williamsburg …
Later …
Three more patches …

I’m slowly catching up with this month.  The patch for September 8th (http://imgoingtotexas.blogspot.com/2016/09/never-say.html) started here with a print of the Hot Springs fountain and some indigo shibori that I made last year …

the mirror imaging was too good to pass up, so I went with it …

I originally planned to do a Celtic knot-like take on the GPS clover leaf in the September 9th post (http://imgoingtotexas.blogspot.com/2016/09/drinking-kool-aid.html), but as I looked back at the Google search image collage of Magnolia Market near the end, my eye caught on the interior shot of the metal roof and light strings. It sure did remind me of the thrifted multi-color jacket I just got.
Sure enough, there were some patches of color that looked very similar to the metal roof panels. A few Jude Hill thread beads later, the lights came on …

Interesting side note: my needle literally squeaked through the cloth, which I had hoped was linen since the fabric content label was cut out (my Cursillista readers in Tidewater Virginia will get a kick out of the maker’s label that remained) …

Looking more closely at the frayed edges of the patch, I realized I was working with wool. But hey, it made it through the wash, so onward!
The last patch for today came from cloth that I had been invited to bring to Deb McClintock’s native natural dye workshop on September 10th (http://imgoingtotexas.blogspot.com/2016/09/dye-stuff.html). It was originally a vintage linen tablecloth …

that I dyed last year with Prairie Tea (Croton) gathered in the yard. Better yet, it bore a striking resemblance to the Texas Persimmon dyed linen blouse that Deb was wearing …

Gotta love what the land gives us!