– Rockin’ it

A bit of lichen-dyed muslin …

Patch #36

because it reminds me of Don’s rock gardens …
Kinda cool that a local lichen makes cloth the color of local rock.
Mostly though, I’ve been working on Melissa’s birthday present. Here’s another sneak peek …

Time’s slipping away … here’s hoping I make the deadline.

– Happily here

Before I begin today’s post, I want to say thanks to everyone who commented yesterday. Because I know that blogging in a vacuum just isn’t where it’s at for me. So your presence and the time you give to reading and commenting, mean a lot. Thank you.

Onward: I’m actually kind of late posting today, but I made the deadline with this lantana-bloom purple patch …

Patch #22

Since daylight is long gone, the color is hard to capture, even in this extended view …

So, I’ll post it again tomorrow after I add some stitch. I do have a legitimate reason  for posting late of course. I just started another project and as I gathered my DMC together this afternoon, I found this …

and I realized I just had to have the missing 925. So off I went to Hobby Lobby where I discovered there is no such thing as DMC 925. Really? There should be.
Fortunately, the trip wasn’t a total loss. I went to the library to get another Mo Willems’ picture book to read with G (even if you don’t have any little people of your own, if you have ever been present at a toddler meltdown you must read Knuffle Bunny … just trust me and take a look next time you’re at a library or bookstore).
And I picked up some fresh flour tortillas at the food store. Gotta love Texas.
I even had time to stitch a sample when I got home, even if it wasn’t exactly the color I was hoping for …
 But I can’t tell you what it’s for … it’s a secret

– Always learning: The latest lessons in the Kitchen Towel Series

I just completed the kitchen towel housewarming gift for my daughter’s soon-to-be new house …

A-side overview
You’ll notice that the top half, which will hang over the back-side of the towel bar, has been left unembellished. And while the color is not obvious in the first picture, somehow this b-side close-up almost captured the blue/green/gray-ness that attracted me to this linen …
B-side detail

I am beyond happy with my decision to use a second layer of harem cloth as the backing, as it protects the house plan stitching while still letting it show through …

B-side overview

Likewise, the ladder stitch worked very effectively for attaching the harem cloth along the edge of the hemstitching and if you squint you can also see the vertical lines of invisible baste attaching the backing layer to the middle layer of harem cloth  …

Of course, the A-side is the main attraction and I’m very pleased with the way the backstitching (a single strand of DMC floss, with each stitch worked over two or three strands of the linen) captured the lettering and house plan details …

A-side detail
Note: horizontal lines of combination stitch run north/south, vertical lines run east/west

However, you’ve probably noticed that I didn’t iron the cloth, which is my wont. I find pressing linen flattens and distorts the stitches. Besides, I truly believe that linen is most absorbent when air-dried and left unironed … with the added benefit that said belief enables me to let the iron gather dust. Some old lessons are well worth remembering.