This recipe has undergone more revisions than I can count. If you’re curious, you can click this Granola link to see some of them. But for now, here’s the current version:
Optional: raw nuts and/or seeds (pumpkin seeds plus coarsely chopped almonds, cashews, and pistachios are particularly good together)
- Combine cereal, oats, and coconut flakes in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine coconut oil and maple syrup in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 1/2 minutes (90 seconds) on high or heat on stovetop until coconut oil is melted.
- Whisk salt, vanilla, and light brown sugar into warm oil/syrup.
- Pour oil/syrup mixture over cereal/coconut mixture (with optional nuts and/or seeds) and stir until evenly coated.
- Divide mixture between two cookie sheets (optional: use baking spray with flour to facilitate clean up) and place in a 225 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- Every 30 minutes, remove the pans from the oven, turn the granola with a metal spatula, then return the pans to the oven on opposite shelves to ensure even browning.
- Cool completely after baking and store in a sealed container