– Hoping it will all come out (okay) in the wash

After several days of hanging in gentle rain and persimmon-shaded sun, I brought in the newly dyed cloth.

Taking a idea from newfound KINDRED SPIRIT Deb Sposa at Artisun, I decided to iron half of each cloth on a high setting to see if the colors would set better with or without heat.
For sure the dyed images jumped out of the newly pressed cloth …

But knowing that they might fade regardless of whether they were heat-set or not, I took some before shots to record what was …
Red and yellow onion skins mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)

Windfall lichen mordanted with
copper, alum and iron (from left to right)
Alum mordanted red cabbage, salvias and rosemary (from left to right)

So, with once last look at my favorite alum-mordanted salvias …

I dispatched them to the (hopefully) tender mercies of the washing machine.

Film at 11:00 (if not sooner).

6 thoughts on “– Hoping it will all come out (okay) in the wash

  1. Me, too … but beyond the laundering test is the test of time. I'm thinking of creating a nine-patch sampler with one piece from each cloth, then dating it and photographing it to compare a year or two from now.

    Like

  2. You're welcome … for the record, I couldn't really discern any significant difference between the ironed and un-ironed halves. Meanwhile, I love visiting your blog and seeing the amazing projects you have your students doing … how fortunate you all are to have each other.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s