– It’s magic: Weaving a cloth patch with four selvages

As part of my early efforts during Jude Hill’s online course “Considering Weave” I created a small bit of weaving on a “cloth loom” (some even weave linen stretched in an embroidery hoop). At the time it seemed insignificant so I didn’t post it, but here it is for the record:

6-strand DMC floss, green warp, gold weft needlewoven on a 35-count linen “loom”

Today while tidying up I actually toyed with the idea of tossing it, thinking, “What’s the use?” As I pondered its destruction, I absentmindedly picked out the linen threads and realized I had managed, quite unintentionally, to create a tiny cloth with four selvages.
Now this was worth saving … and reiterating. Perhaps I could even control the dimensions.

With a goal of creating a 1 1/2″ patch of cloth, I gathered some recently acquired white and black size 10 cotton crochet thread (which I had planned to weave into a tapestry version of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse), a square of green linen cloth (which changed colors in the photographs as the daylight coming in the window came and went), an embroidery hoop, and a very long, very sharp needle.
The steps I followed are documented below with details in the captions:

The green linen was marked in 1/2″ intervals and the initial warp was anchored with a waste knot

Spacing the warp every 2 threads of linen seemed too tight

This is the back after I began spacing the warp 3 threads apart. I changed colors using a simple square knot.

I ended up with 8 warp threads for each 1/2″ section

Another picture of the back, which didn’t change for the duration. Note the loose warp thread at the lower right.

After finishing the warp, I simply brought the thread up to the front (lower left corner) and began needleweaving

When I reached the end of the thread, I buried it along the selvage

Then started a new thread by needleweaving up the other side

Here I left the black weft thread loose in order to try anchoring it with subsequent passes, which worked well

After each pass, I “beat” down the weft with a tiny brush (an unused hearing aid cleaner)

As I reached the end, things got tight so I needlewove one stitch at a time

Along the way I tried knotting some of the weft threads, which didn’t work as well as weaving the ends in

Then I cut the woven patch away from the linen “loom”

This was the final back view … which looked just the same as it did in the beginning.

After picking out the linen from the ends, I had a 1 1/2″ square patch with four selvages.

2 thoughts on “– It’s magic: Weaving a cloth patch with four selvages

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s